What yeast infections are to a woman
Every woman dreads yeast infections and the symptoms that follow. Constant itching, burning sensations, a vagina that looks and feels swollen are just some of the aggravating symptoms.
There is also a certain degree of embarrassment involved at having to see a doctor in private about a problem in their privates. Most women would rather endure a root canal procedure because it’s less humiliating.
Despite the fact that most women will experience at least 1 yeast infection in their lifetime, most of them only have a rudimentary understanding of what a yeast infection is. To them, it is just an annoying fungus that is making life a living hell.
Some facts that you must know about yeast infections
There are a few facts that you must know about yeast infections. This knowledge will help you understand the problem and you can take preventive and corrective measures that will alleviate the condition.
1. 75% of women will experience yeast infections at least once in their lifetime. You’re not alone. If you have a yeast infection, there is no need to feel embarrassed or worry that your doctor may throw up. It’s a common condition that they would have treated many times.
2. Yeast infections are exasperating and cause discomfort. However, it is a condition that can be treated and it’s not harmful.
3. Yeast infections are much more common in women than men. However, about 15% of men do get yeast infections. In many cases, they contracted it from a woman during sexual intercourse… which brings us to the next point.
4. Yeast infections are not sexually transmitted diseases… but they can be transmitted through sexual intercourse. That is why it is best to refrain from sexual intercourse when you’re having a yeast infection.
5. Common treatment for the condition typically involves the use of antifungal creams, powders with antifungal properties and in some cases oral medications such as Fluconazole.
6. A diet that is high in sugar can make you more susceptible to yeast infections.
7. Stress, lack of sleep, consuming too much antibiotics, hormonal changes during pregnancy or menstruation, uncontrolled diabetes, douching are all factors that cause yeast infections. Long-term illnesses and diseases that lower one’s immune system are also causes of yeast infection.
8. They can be prevented and cured using holistic methods. Women with recurring infections will benefit from recording their diet and daily activities so that they can isolate the trigger which is causing the yeast infection to rear its ugly head. Once the trigger is isolated and eliminated, in most cases, the problem will be permanently solved.
9. Yeast infections can occur in your mouth (thrush) or moist parts of the body. The Candida fungus thrives in warm and wet conditions. While the vagina and mouth can never be made completely dry, other parts of your body such as your inner thighs and armpits should be kept as dry as possible.
10. Consumption of plain yoghurt which contains lactobaccilus acidophilus which is a good bacteria, will help to keep yeast in the body in check and hamper the growth of the fungus.
These are just a few facts about yeast infections. You should do your best to learn whatever you can about this condition. That will ensure that you are better prepared to keep this problem at bay and if it does occur, you will not inadvertently exacerbate the situation with the wrong actions.